December 18, 2009

My big boy

For those of you that know me and my family personally, this is a very monumental occassion. 

CX, who is 6, is very shy and doesn't deal with new situations easily.  Usually on the first day of practice for a new sport we have a huge blow-up just because he doesn't know the coach, doesn't know any of the kids on the team, and just doesn't do well in this kind of things.  We actually sent hime to summer school this past year because they were holding it in the same school building that he would be attending kindergarten at in the fall.  Crazy to some, but to us it just made sense to get him comfortable before the storm. 

So last night, we are on our way to CX's basketball practice when we realize that his new bball shoes are still at home.  (We live 8 miles out of town).  CX pipes up to me, "It's okay mom.  Just drop me off at the door and you can run home and get them." 

Do what?!?!  Is that my son that just said that?  "Are you sure?," I ask. 

"Yeah, I got my buddies on the team and my coach.  I'll be alright.  Just be quick and get my shoes, please."

Now to some, who don't know CX very well, this is probably not a big deal...but for my guy it is a HUGE deal.  Especially since he has only had one practice under his belt and that was two weeks ago.  He doesn't really know anyone on the team.

I drove home in a mixture of awe and fright.  I was so proud of my boy for taking a step like this, but at the same time, I was thinking, what if he actually puts it together that I am not there and has a meltdown? 

I got back to practice very quickly, but I didn't break any speed limits along the way.  To my delight when I walked in, he was happy as could be and didn't even realize I was back until about 15 minutes later.  But as soon as he saw me, he wanted those new shoes on....but had to wait til a break to put them on.

My baby is growing up right before my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...