May 29, 2009

A little boys glorious hit!

Okay, so my son wants to be a baseball player or an athlete of some sort when he grows up. He also wants to be a policeman, a daddy and whatever it is that daddy does at the office. Isn't it great how open their futures are for them at this age...he's five. So we have been encouraging him, he plays on a competitive 7 & under baseball league up in Springfield and is loving it, but just not getting much luck with the batting.
Jeff wasn't able to be at the game tonight, so I recorded the game. The first time CX was up he struck out, but it didn't bring him down any. He ran right back into the dugout and held his head high. Then came the next time, and you could tell he was getting discouraged. He just swung the bat to be swinging. Didn't really put a lot of energy into the swings. Once again, he struck out.
The team was doing so well, the score was 12-2 in favor of the tigers, that's us, that there was six minutes left in the game and we were the home team. So, I figured the game was over, but wait, we were coming out to bat again??!? What in the world? We had already won.
Well, here comes the first batter, swings, makes the connection and is off to first base. Then comes the second batter, swings, hits the ball and runs off to first as the first runner is off to second. Then here comes CX....his heart is heavy but he is going to keep trying anyway. Well, being the baseball fan that I am, I know that baseball is very superstitious, so I stop recording the game. As soon as CX steps up to the plate I turn the camera off, and wouldn't you know it, he hits the first ball and drives it right down first base line into the outfield. Of course! Duh, why hadn't I turned it off sooner...I don't know, but I am a little upset that I didn't get to capture that glorious hit for daddy to relive with his little boy.
Jeff didn't care about not being able to see it, he was so excited that CX had his first official hit of the season! He kept saying, "Now we have the first one out of the way. There will be plenty more for me to watch at other games." CX was so excited as well, he just got the biggest grin on his face when he hit that ball and ran as hard as he could to first base.
Then the umpire called time and ended the game. I thought it was a little strange with three on base, but whatever. This is a league for little guys learning to play. Coach Matt made a big deal about CX after the game to the rest of the team, how CX hadn't hit a ball yet but it didn't stop him from trying and he kept going.
Then, after the game, Coach Matt came up to me and told me what he had done for me sweet little guy. He talked to the umpire and asked him if we could come up to bat one last time because he had one on the team that hadn't made a hit yet and really needed to. So the ump, being a good guy, said okay, lets give it a shot. God was smiling on my little guy today. It just brings me to tears to know that he has such a good hearted coach that wants to see him succeed as much as we do.
I don't know if CX will ever be the athlete that he hopes to be, but I know that he will have wonderful people who will watch him and hope he succeeds in everything that he does.

1 comment:

  1. Matt is crazy about all of those boys! Cam did great and he should be so proud of himself. It's moments like those that make it so worth coaching for Matt. Way to go Cam!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...