March 4, 2011

T-shirt make-over

Our elementary school just started this wonderful program called "Watch D.O.G.S.".  If you haven't heard of it and you have kiddos in school, you should really check it out at Fathers.com.

Basically, it is to present positive male role models in the school systems.

Anyway, Sir was signed up to go in for the day and had his official Watch D.O.G.S. t-shirt to wear.  CX had his and Lil' Sis had hers, except hers was just a bit too big for her little 45" 42 lb. frame.

Had to do something about this.




This is what I started out with.  It was just a plain shirt.  Had to jazz it up a bit.

First step---Cut in half.




Next--Take cute ribbon and pin to edges of top half.





Then sew edges together.  Make sure you pin right sides of shirt and ribbon together.




Next, I couldn't find my elastic thread anywhere!!  I tried to pull thread to make ruffles.  Sewing on number 5 for extra long stitches.  Didn't work so well on the ribbon.  Darn!






So, I had to improvise.  Decided to make pleats instead.  I took a shirt that fit Lil' Sis and used it as a pattern.






After sewing the pleats I turned it right side out and thought that it needed a little something else.




I cut the edges off of the sleeves like this.




Then I took about 6 inches of ribbon and sewed it into a circle like this.






Then I pinned it onto the sleeves where I had cut off the edge.  I had to make a few little pleats along the way since the hole was much bigger than the ribbon.




Sewed right along the edges with a 1/4" seam.

It turned out like this.




This is the final product.  I am still not loving the pleats on the edge of the ribbon.  Still trying to find my elastic thread.  I was wanting it to look more like a tunic.




Lil' Sis loved it and it was so cute with leggings. 

If I ever find that thread, I'll fix it to my liking and update this post.

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a great day and good health!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...