October 2, 2009

Home Made Gummies!!!


I found this really cute idea and easy recipe to make homemade gummies.  Yes, you read that correct, it is easy!  I found it here and it turned out so great.  The kiddos had a blast helping me out and we found some really cool ice cube molds at the dollar store to make the gummies even cooler for the holiday season.  What you see in the picture is skulls, pumpkins and eye balls!  Yum-O!  Want to make some?  Here is how I did it.....

 
Here is what you need...

  • one 3 oz. box of Jell-O (any flavor will do....it is whatever you desire)


  • 3 packets of Knox Gelatin (Find it on the top shelf of the Jell-O isle)


  • Candy molds or ice cube trays (again, whatever you desire)


  • Glass measuring cup (This will come into play later)


  • 1/3 to 2/3 Cup of water (depending on how gummie or chewey you want them)


  • Double-boiler or big pot of water


First, I mixed 2/3 cup of water in the glass measuring cup with the packet of jello, then each packet of gelatin.  After adding one packet I would make sure to mix well before adding another packet.  After you have mixed all the Jell-O and gelatin together cover the measuring cup and wait for 10 minutes.  While you are waiting....start your water to boil.  (I don't have a double boiler, so I just got my big pot going!)

  
After 10 minutes, it should look something like this.  Seriously, this works....stay with me on this!

Then you want to take the glass measuring cup and set it inside the simmering pot of water and SLOWLY melt the mixture.  You want to get a nice smooth consistancy.  You will have a soft layer of foam on the top once it has completely melted, but that is all good....It is just a lighter color of the gummie mixture. 




Next, you want to take your candy molds or ice cube trays and pour away.  See....the glass measuring cup was handy with the boiling water and now even more handy with the little spout on it!  See, there is a little method to the madness! 

These are the ice cube trays that I bought at the dollar store. 

Stick the trays into the freezer or fridge for 10 minutes or so and...Viola!  Home made gummies!  They shouldn't stick to the molds because they are gelatin, so no need to spray the molds.  Also, I made my first batch with orange jell-o and only a little over 1/3 cup of water and they turned out really chewey!!!  So the berry blue batch I tried with 2/3 cup of water and they turned out a much better texture.  More like gummies you buy at the store! 

Don't forget, store them in an airtight container so that they won't dry out and get crusty!

Have fun and let me know if you make any!  I would love to know how they turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...